Monday 18 January 2010

Studio 1

Justin Jade Morgan
New Plymouth, Auckland and Wellington, January 2010


This project is about the tools used within my practice. Often we as viewers or makers of an object tend to address the presented piece and the processes that are driving the overall intent of the work. But how often do we think about the tools that the artist/maker has used to construct?



By unpacking my current practice and diving further into my studio; I intend to address and open up questions around the relationship between my tools, their function and their value. This project currently has several components on show at the Govett Brewster Art Gallery, New Plymouth, the Sanderson Contemporary Art Gallery, Auckland and in the ‘Beats’ video fest in Nova Gorica, Slovenia.



My intention is to introduce the box as a carry box to hold and transport items to and from each gallery space as I go about de-installing the first suite of New Zealand shows (this process will be documented in accordance with the project). This will mean that the box will not only make a trip from Wellington to New Plymouth to Auckland and then back to Wellington just as I the artist does – But it will also have the chance to be connected to the gallery spaces mentioned above, thus inserting the box not only as a tool but also as an art object within an exhibition space and project context.


No comments:

Post a Comment